USS Nimitz maiden cruise 1975 CVW-8
An unique set of original 1970’s instamatic type of photographs made during the maiden cruise of the well-known aircraft carrier USS Nimitz. Although the author is unknown by me; the photographs are of such historical importance that I would really like to publish these on my website.
The USS Nimitz was the first of the Nimitz-class nuclear powered super carriers. It’s maiden cruise in 1975 was therefore an important military event, during which it was shadowed by Russian Tu95 Bear aircraft. All sorts of trials were performed, including life firing of (experimental) Sea Sparrow SAM missiles and trials with British F4 Phantom aircraft. The Bears, Sea Sparrows and British Phantoms are all captured on these photographs.
Today (2020) the USS Nimitz is still an active serving front line super carrier.
- USS Nimitz CVAN-68 flightdeck
- USS Nimitz forward flightdeck
- USS Nimitz USMC VMF-333 155523 AJ-12_ 154786 AJ-125 F-4J's and VF-31 F-4J
- 154786 AJ-125 F-4J VMF-333 'Fighting Shamrocks' a
- 154786 AJ-125 F-4J VMF-333 'Fighting Shamrocks' b
- 158543 613 AJ EA-6B 151802 513 AJ A-6E 158542 612 AJ EA-6B 152513 523 AJ A-6E
- A-6E Intruder VA-35 'Black Panthers'
- EA-6B Prowler VAQ-130 'Zappers'
- RA-5C's RVAH-9 'Hoot Owls' and two E-2B Hawkeyes of VAW-116 'Sun Kings'
- 156626 602 RA-5C Vigilante RVAH-9 'Hoot Owls'
- British Royal Navy Phantom FG1 XV592 R 013 892 squadron
- Russian Tu-95 Bear
- Russian Tu-95 Bear flightline of A-6E Intruders and EA-6B Prowlers
- Russian navy Kamov
- British Oberon class submarine